First Adsense

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Introduction


Every life has it’s story, its beginning, and of course it’s end.  What happens from start to finish is majorly what you chose mixed in with a little bit of the uncontrollable. But we have all heard it before, “LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!” Right?
I was watching a YouTube video of Tyrese speaking on his recent book, “How to get out of your own way” In the video he made a statement about sharing the message of how to get through in life, because it is a journey.Listen to Tyrese here I’ve contemplated doing this for a year now, and continue to put it off for various reasons, but no better time than now as I start my professional career. 
My story?? Well...my name is Dawn Evans. I’m 22. James Madison Graduate. I suffer from a rare kidney disease that people wrongly believe that should prevent me from playing basketball, but basketball has been my only true way of life. Juggling the both is hard enough, now lets add in the love/dating life. Sometimes you find yourself wondering when the hell does life give you a break. But it does. It did. I am in route to pursue my basketball career in Vienna, Austria. Yes, with a blue jean bag full of medications. I’m beyond elated, coming out of that after college graduation “slump”. “That slump” when everything wrong that could happen, only SEEMS to happen. As my disease made media attention and my stock in character seemed to rise my stock in the WNBA draft plummeted. My relationship of 2 years became just another stressor in my life and soon ended. Although my health stayed stable my faith in it staying that way only grew less and less.  I knew it just wasn’t in my cards for things to get better. I was wrong!
For anyone who knows me, knows that I am far from an open book but this blog will contradict that statement.  I only want to share the life I live in categories that don’t usually coexist...and the encouragement, knowledge, and experience I have gained through it all. Share the up and down times of an athlete, kidney patient, and a girl in pursuit of happiness. 
So I want to enlighten and encourage perseverance in anyone who needs it, because as bad as things seem to get sometime..you know that uncontrollable part of life... there is always a way out!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Dawn! Congrats!!! Can't wait to see you ball!!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing!!! Every time life tosses you lemons, you make the sweetest lemonade!! You are loved by so many...especially in our household...like a daughter! We are so proud of you!!! Do your thing Rai!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't know each but we played against each other in college. I didnt know your story until now. And with everything you go through I cant even imagine how you deal with it. But I am proud of your success as a female athlete because it is hard enough as it is. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck Dawn and it's amazing that you are doing this blog - I am sure it will help many!
    Coach Lauren Milburn (Jazmon Gwathmey's high school coach)

    ReplyDelete