First Adsense

Monday, February 13, 2012

Draft Day

I haven't decided how often I'm going to write but I have plenty of free time here in Vienna to do that, and believe me my mind runs wild....


Today is full day #2 here in Austria. Vienna is absolutely gorgeous, but it is colder than a January in Harrisonburg, VA, and any James Madison University/DMV readers I have know exactly how cold that can be.  WOW with all that has happened, I still can't believe I am here.  I remember the days of April 10-11, 2011 like it was yesterday...


April 10th I found myself retweeting-you know, reposting comments on twitter, comments of what teams people believed I was going to be drafted to either because they were fans of that team or figured somehow that I would do/fit well on that team. I stayed as humble as possible considering the fact that "you just never know what could happen" as my Head Coach at the time would remind me. He made sure constantly that he reminded me to do everything in my power that would leave no possibility, but with all that the media attention I was getting in national articles and magazines, plus the way my stats looked the past 4 years, I mean "I was that courageous kid with heart" I must be a shoe in.


April 11th came along, my family drove 9 hours from home, which for them was the norm when any big event happened at JMU.  My teammates and coaches put together a draft party just for the team and my family to attend and we sat in front of the huge projector we used for film and listened as the names were being called, TOGETHER! The agony of hearing the first 2 rounds without hearing my name only grew worse as my teammates and coaches at the time tried so hard to make things better. Without those girls and the my JMU family I would have broken down completely, but they allowed me to lean on them. So.. I went undrafted.


"I'm not easily broken"is what I immediately tweeted trying to hold on to that strong image I created for myself, but inside I knew I'd walk away from basketball forever for more reasons then that, I took this as an opportunity to recuperate and get my health in order.

Ok so yea... I needed to get things in order, but I let some "shitty" situation that lasted just one day remove me from something I have built over years. People who have never played the sport see the GLORY, the SHINE, the things that happen only when the lights are on, but true competitive athletics takes the cumulative effort of your ENERGY, your TIME, your EMOTIONS, and your HEART if you love basketball like the people I've ever played with. It took me 6 whole months to realize what I know now. I know that this break, drafted or not was absolutely necessary and that maybe I was not ready on April 11th to continue playing. I know now that yes, things happen and for a reason indeed and you have to trust that it is only part of what is truly destined for YOU! Those things don't mean quit, they mean your strong enough to get there the hard way. 


Earlier that month I earned the 2011 ESPN Annual Jimmy V Foundation award given to a collegiate athlete who was able to face adversity sometime throughout their college career and even if you aren't familiar with the famous Jimmy V speech, you have heard his famous lines as he fought his battle with cancer...


"DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP" 


as a recipient of that award it is my duty to be the epitome of these words- so here I stand in Vienna, Austria with amazing girls I will introduce to you soon.


I saw this on twitter today: Perfect!


Oh P.S.: Advice to future/younger athletes, don't put too much stock in what media attention you get, good or bad! Many athletes find themselves trying to fight to prove the media wrong or right when paying attention too closely to what is only SOMEONE'S OPINION. -no google searches, well until after season ;)



3 comments:

  1. This is a great blog.Really was something i need to hear. Staying away from media attention helps a lot... Keeps you focus on your goal for that season or year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog Dawn. You brought tears to my eyes. It was great to see you the other week and I'm glad I was able to give you a hug. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fighting through the tears....I Love you so much little cousin! Never stop fighting.....Never stop fighting.....Never stop fighting! I'm so incredibly proud of you......much love and admiration, Cherrie Lynn

    ReplyDelete