First Adsense

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Hang my sneaks"

It is Day 4 here in Vienna, Austria and I have had an amazing time so far. Now that surprises me with the horror stories I have heard about basketball abroad.  People warned me that it would be cold and lonely and the way the language barrier was described I could only think of being in a Charlie Brown world of "womp womp" like...huh?? 


The cold well....it is really cold but it is absolutely gorgeous during the day, and coming from Clarksville, TN the city life here in Vienna eliminates that. Lonely...Yes, I spend a lot of time alone which in reality is time I spend on Skype but I enjoy most of the "me" time and any other spare moments I'm with Kachine (Kash) and Nicole (Nic) who are the other Americans on the team. I still will introduce you to these two...Love them already!!  And as far as the language barrier I think I enjoy being marveled at like I'm talented for being "foreign", up until they start talking about us....which they make completely obvious unlike after a long month of basketball practice, getting a pedicure and the nail technician is expressing out loud how horrible your feet look in Vietnamese, without ever once looking up.


I love the overseas life, but that's just me...but I think my perspective is different from most...


I originally signed a contract to play in Russia after I went undrafted, which I might add, is one of the most competitive countries to play in for women. But the issues of my health lingered all the way to Russia and I was again being questioned. Although everything was cleared up and my planned trip to Russia was still intact, and the contract was completely signed anyway....I just became fed up! The doubt of so many came down on me like a bag of bricks. I called my agent and said I was done. I told him that my life was destined in a different direction. 


My boyfriend at the time really didn't want me to leave him, but encouraged me to follow my dreams. So  I spent so many days and nights contemplating if I made the right decision. Acting has always been a passion of mine since I moved out to Burbank, California and pursued acting before I even became serious about basketball. One day I figured it out...I must just pack up and move to Atlanta to pursue my career in acting once again, and this way I can be within driving distance from my boyfriend. 


So..I went. I actually booked an independent film, and would you get this..about basketball. This restarted my life as an actress. I worked part time and went to acting classes, working on my script and just improving everything I had learned prior. At this point you would think I finally found the direction in life I was looking for... 6 months passed I had a bad case of basketball-itis. How could I not, I was still working out, being asked to coach, and preparing for a basketball movie, but what option do I have that I haven't eliminated for myself? I felt absolutely lost!! I didn't know what else to do but pray! 


I kid you not, Sunday Feb 5, 2012 I went to my church, and I prayed to God that he show me some sign as to what direction I needed to go... That night I read a text from my agent reading "I have a team in Vienna Austria. Great team and people. Point guard has been there but broke a rib. She will be out for 4-6 weeks. They need a player to come now and take her place while she gets better. It will be a great place for you. Any interest?" I'm thinking this is a great opportunity to get a taste of Professional basketball and give me exactly what I been missing. I replied with a simple "Yes" and Friday Feb 10, 2012 I was on the first flight out to Vienna.  Believe me...this opportunity means the world to me.


Wondering what happened to the film? They understood..but I have a thing for always picking up where I left off. But that will be in some years when I decide to truly "hang my sneaks". 


I advise you all to follow your heart... Dreams are wishes the heart makes, don't be deterred! 

1 comment:

  1. I promise you that every time I watched a CAA girls game (which is often bcuz im in VA) I thought about you & got pissed off that you didnt get drafted. Even if they were nervous about your health, u deserved at least a low risk 2nd or 3rd round chance based off talent alone. But honestly I knew that you became a lil discouraged & chose to quit bball altogether & that bothered me because I believe in you so much as a bball player. you can make it I know it. Im elated that you are back playing Go Dawn!

    ReplyDelete